Any debate of the best dehydrator would have to include Excalibur. With close to 5 decades in this industry, this company has evolved to manufacture dehydrators that effortlessly suit the needs and demands of different homeowners. We are going to review and compare top 6 models to find out the best Excalibur dehydrator for your needs.
What makes Excalibur dehydrators worth going for?
First, these are among a few other dehydrators that are designed and made in the USA.
Secondly, these models come with a real fan that is located at the back of the unit. They are also designed with Excalibur’s patented Parallex and Hyperwave technologies that eliminate the hassle of rotating and moving the trays.
Most of these models also come with an adjustable thermostat that lets you set just the required dehydrating temperatures for the various foods. These basic features mean that you can use an Excalibur dehydrator for almost anything.
We’ll discuss more on the must-have and nice-to-have features that you need to consider when shopping for a dehydrator later in this article. As at this time, here are our reviews for the contenders of the best Excalibur dehydrators.
Top Excalibur Models Compared
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. If you make a purchase after clicking on a link I may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you if items are purchased.
|1.||Excalibur 3926TB Food Dehydrator||Best Excalibur Dehydrator With Timer (Our Pick)||9.6/10||Yes||9-10||Adjustable||Plastic||440 watts||5 years||105-165 °F||Excalibur|
|2.||Excalibur 3900B Dehydrator||Best Affordable 9-Tray Excalibur Dehydrator||9.4/10||No||9||Adjustable||Plastic||600 watts||10 years||105-165 °F||Excalibur|
|3.||Excalibur 2900ECB||Faster And Efficient Excalibur Dehydrator||9.2/10||No||9||Adjustable||Plastic||600 watts||5 years||105-165 °F||Excalibur|
|4.||Excalibur 3526TB Dehydrator||Affordable Excalibur Food Dehydrator With Timer||8.4/10||Yes||5||Adjustable||Plastic||440 watts||5 years||115-145 °F||Excalibur|
|5.||Excalibur EXD500W Dehydrator||Best Affordable 5-Tray Excalibur Dehydrator||8.1/10||No||5||Adjustable||Plastic||440 watts||No mention||95-155 °F||Excalibur|
|6.||Excalibur 2400 Dehydrator||Economy Excalibur Dehydrator||8.2/10||No||4||Adjustable||Plastic||220 watts||5 years||95-155 °F||Excalibur|
1. Best Excalibur Dehydrator With Timer – Excalibur 3926TB
The Excalibur 3926TB is ranked among the costliest dehydrators on the market today. But I bet the sheer number of features that it offers will definitely make you overlook its cost.
This Excalibur dehydrator 9 tray prides itself on a spacious drying space maxing out at 15 square feet. This generous space allows you to dehydrate a variety of foods ranging from fruits, beef jerky, veggies to nuts and homemade yogurt among others.
Its 9-tray design also makes it the best Excalibur dehydrator for gardeners, large families and sportsmen as well.
Are you looking for a convenient dehydrator that won’t sap your energy, say, through constant checks?
The good news with the Excalibur 3926TB food dehydrator is that it has been designed with several convenience features that ensure it is one of the easiest and simplest dehydrators to use.
To begin with, it comes with an automatic shut off function. For the uninitiated, this seemingly basic feature means quite a lot, especially when attending to other chores. For instance, it saves you the energy of rushing to switch the machine off after the dehydration process.
Secondly, it eliminates all fears that you may have about overheating and burning your food products.
Another interesting feature of the Excalibur 3926TB is its poly – screen tray insert that is flexible and easy to clean credit to its non-stick craftsmanship.
In addition, you won’t need to rotate or move the trays during the dehydration process. You could ask, ‘‘but will my food dry evenly?’’
The Excalibur 3926TB is fitted with a 7-inch fan which is 2 inches larger than what most conventional dehydrators come with.
It also uses Excalibur’s patented Parallex Horizontal Airflow technology that ensures even distribution of heat over the trays. This should eliminate all worries of uneven drying.
Another feature that earns it a slot in our picks of the best Excalibur dehydrators for meat and vegetables is its Hyperwave Fluctuation technology.
Basically, this technology maintains low temperatures in the food to keep the enzymes active but heats the surrounding air high enough to dry the food. This minimizes the growth of bacteria, mold, and yeast.
This dehydrator also has an adjustable thermostat that offers temperatures as low as 105℉ and as high as 165℉.
This feature sees to it that active enzymes found in your fruits and veggies are preserved. It also ensures the safety standards for dehydrating your meat are met.
- 9 trays Excalibur for drying different food products
- 26-hour timer allows you to dry your food with no pressure of constant checks
- Has a built-in on/off switch that eliminates the risk of overheating the food
- Adjustable thermostat of between 105oF and 165oF takes care of both low and high-temperature requirements.
- Flexible poly – screen tray inserts are non-stick. This makes cleaning easy.
- A 7 inch fan guarantees increased air circulation
- Rating of 600 watts for the heater element
- Runs on 110 V
- Horizontal airflow
- Spacious enough to dry a variety of foods
- Ideal for large families, gardeners, and sportspeople
- Not too involving as it has convenient features such as 26 – hour timer, automatic shut off, adjustable thermostat and easy to wash insert poly screen.
- Fits easily in the kitchen despite it spacious nature
- Can effortlessly dry foods that require either low or high temperatures thanks to the adjustable thermostat
- Quite costly
- A bit noisy when functioning
- Drying dippy foods or making fruit leathers can be challenging as no solid sheets are provided alongside it
For more details you can check our in depth Excalibur 3926TB review.
2. Best Affordable 9-Tray Excalibur Food Dehydrator – Excalibur 3900B
For those who are excited about the versatility of the Excalibur 3926TB but find it a little on the pricier side, the 3900B might offer a great alternative.
This model is lots cheaper than our first recommendation. But the best part is that it does not compromise on drying space.
So, what makes it different? Should you go for it?
This is a humungous 15. Sq. ft. dehydrator with 9 trays that offer plenty (if not enough) drying space.
The 3900B also features a 7-inch fan that draws cool air from the outside and distributes it over the food after heating.
Speaking of heating and distribution, this model uses Excalibur’s patented Horizontal Parallex and Hyperwave technologies for even and safe warm air circulation.
The Excalibur 3900B in black also prides itself in convenient features for simplicity and efficiency.
Among other features, we really like the adjustable thermostat that offers 105℉-165℉ temperature range. This means that you can still dry a variety of foods perfectly without parting with an arm and a leg.
Again, it has the poly–screen tray insert which apart from ensuring foods don’t get stuck on them also give you an easy time in cleaning the dehydrator.
But the best part is that you won’t have to move or rotate these trays during the drying process.
Excalibur 3900b vs 3926tb
As you found out in this Excalibur 3900B review, this machine is similar to Excalibur 3926TB in pretty much all aspects.
The major difference between the Excalibur3926TB and the 3900b is that the latter does not come with a built-in timer.
Thus, this is not a set-it-and-forget-it kind of thing. I don’t know about you but I find a timer quite important for a dehydrator especially if you are drying different foods that require varying drying times.
If you are fond of forgetting things immediately they are out of sight, then this should be a cause for concern too.
There is a way to work around this though. You could simply bring a plug-in timer (buy it on Amazon.com) into the mix and save yourself a couple bucks for other expenses.
- 9 tray Excalibur dehydrator with 15 square feet drying space
- Uses a patented hyper wave and the horizontal parallex drying technology for even drying processes
- Built-in on/off switch
- Adjustable thermostat of between 105℉ and 165℉ takes care of both low and high-temperature requirements
- Flexible poly – screen tray insert prevents food from sticking thereby making the cleaning process easy
- A 7 inch fan guarantees increased air circulation
- Rating of 600 watts for the heater element
- Runs on 110 V
- Horizontal airflow
- Comes with a 10 years limited warranty
- Comes with a limited 10 – year warranty to make it a worry-free purchase
- Uses the patented hyper wave technology plus the horizontal parallex to enhance an even drying process
- Convenient features such as the adjustable thermostat and accurate temperature ensure even dehydration of the foods
- The flexible poly – screen tray inserts prevent your food from getting stuck on them and also save you lots of energy in cleaning them
- No movement or rotation of trays during drying
- It is quite costly
- Has no timer
For more details you can check our in depth Excalibur 3900 review.
3. Excalibur 2900ECB
If you want a 9-tray Excalibur dehydrator at a much cheaper price than what the 3926TB and the 3900B come at, then the 2900ECB is what you have in mind.
2900ECB is similar to the 3926TB and the 3900B dehydrators above in almost all aspects. In fact, you may not be able to tell the difference at a glance.
It has 9 trays that allow you to dry tons of food products at once and a thermostat that offers varying dehydrating temperature ranges.
Similar to other best Excalibur dehydrators for 2019, the 2900ECB also comes with a fan that has been fixed at the back for horizontal distribution of the heat. This means that you’ll never have to move and rotate the trays.
Excalibur Dehydrator 2900 vs 3900
The major difference between the excalibur 2900 vs 3900 is on the quality of the components. The thermostat with the 3900B, for instance, is designed to last up to 5 times longer than that of the 2900ECB. This is a really good thing especially if you intend to subject it to heavy-duty work.
On the other hand, I bet the 2900ECB will work just fine if you don’t plan to use regularly.
The same case applies to the motors. The 3900B uses a heavier duty motor that is expected to last upwards of 20 years without fail.
On the contrary, the 2900ECB has a motor that is rated to last approximately 10 years.
The heating elements on the 3900B are also of a much higher quality than what the 2900ECB carries.
These key differences are also depicted on the warranties in that the 3900B comes with a 10-year warranty while the 2900ECB is backed with a 5-year warranty.
- Humongous space – 15 square feet drying space. This ensures you dry all varieties of foods at a go.
- Has an adjustable thermostat of between 105℉ and 165℉ – allows you to dry different foods with the accurate recommended temperature avoiding overdrying of foods.
- Uses the patented Parallex and Hyper Wave technologies hence accuracy and efficiency enhanced.
- 7’’ fan ensures superb air circulation
- 600 Watts rating for the heater element
- It’s relatively affordable
- Great space makes it ideal for large families, sportsmen, and gardeners
- Convenient as it comes with convenient features such as an adjustable thermostat
- The trays can simply be removed when necessary in case you intend to dry bulky items or to raise dough
- Accuracy and efficiency in drying is enhanced via the patented technology
- No movement or rotation of trays during the drying session
- Noisier compared to the previous two
- Comes with the plastic mesh sheet which is not ideal for the fruit leather sheets
- Has no timer
4. Excalibur 3526TB – Affordable Excalibur Food Dehydrator With Timer
If your dehydrating needs won’t necessitate a 9-tray dehydrator, perhaps a 5-tray unit might suit you better.
The 3526TB is one of the best Excalibur dehydrators in this category. This model prides itself on a whopping 26 – hour timer which will allow you to sleep easy and worry not about constantly checking your food.
Though it has a modest space compared to the 9 tray dehydrators, it is surely the ideal dehydrator for families that have small gardens.
Given its slightly smaller drying space, the 3526TB also comes with a smaller fan (5 inches) compared to our first 3 picks. But this is just enough for its size.
True to Excalibur’s tradition, this model also has an adjustable thermostat of between 105℉ and 165℉. This allows you to dry different foods within the recommended temperature range hence avoiding over-drying of foods.
In addition to these thrilling features, it also comes with a complete guide to dehydration (USA) saving you the hassles to look for the guide elsewhere.
- Adjustable thermostat allows you to dry different foods with different recommended temperatures.
- 26 – hour timer eliminates all guesswork
- Automatic shutoff coupled with a built-in on/off switch. This allows you to rest easy with no worries of overheating.
- Runs on 110 V
- A 26-hour timer gives you all the peace while drying
- Perfect for small families probably with small gardens
- Has convenient features such as automatic shutoff, built in on/off switch and an adjustable thermostat that make it so easy to use.
- Its smaller size makes it not ideal for large families
- No room for adding extra trays
5. Excalibur EXD500W – Best Affordable 5-Tray Excalibur Food Dehydrator
The Excalibur EXD500W comes at a considerably lower price compared to the 3526T above. This makes it a more affordable model if you are strapped for money.
The most notable feature of the EXD500W is that it comes in white. So, if you feel that black dehydrators are way too common and want a change for your kitchen, this one might fit the bill.
The Excalibur EXD500W is a 5-tray model with poly-screen tray inserts that offer non-stick operations for easy cleaning.
It features a 5-inch fan and uses this manufacturer’s patented Parallex Horizontal Airflow to eliminate the need for rotating and moving the shelves.
This model also uses the Excalibur Hyperwave Fluctuation technology that is commonplace with high-end 9-tray models. Basically, it ensures that the active enzymes in the food are maintained while making it hard for molds to attack the food.
Another convenient feature of this machine is the adjustable thermostat that allows you to dehydrate different food items at the appropriate temperature required.
Mind you, not all food dehydrators offer this feature. Most of the low-end models have low and high settings only. This brings in a lot of estimations and confusion on how far to turn the temperature knob.
Worth noting, the Excalibur EXD500W has a 95℉ – 155℉ temperature range which is both its strength and a weakness.
For instance, at its lowest temperature setting, this Excalibur makes it possible to dehydrate foods that require much lower drying temperatures that a model such as the 2900ECB can’t offer.
On the other end, its 155℉ setting might not be effective enough where you need at least 165℉ that other high-end units offer.
Lastly, this package comes with a 30-page how-to guide to take you through the process of dehydrating different types of food.
- 5 tray dehydrator
- 95℉ – 155℉ temperature range
- 8 square feet drying space makes it perfect dehydrator for families with smaller gardens
- Has a built-in on/off switch to save energy and provide safety
- 5-inch, 440 watts fan
- Comes with an adjustable thermostat to give you total control of the temperature
- Runs on 110V
- Uses BPA free plastics thereby giving you fewer health worries. According to medical research, exposure to BPA can have dire implications for your health.
- Convenient features such as built-in on/off switch and an adjustable thermostat
- So easy to clean thanks to the non – stick poly – screen inserts
- Allows you total control over temperature thanks to the adjustable thermostat
- Not ideal for large gardens
- No mention of warranty
6. Best Cheap Excalibur Food Dehydrator – Excalibur 2400
A 9-tray food dehydrator is a good model if you intend to dehydrate tons of food. On the other hand, it might be overkill if you all you need it for is to make cheese once a month or to rehydrate some left over jerky.
In that case, a cheaper model such as the Excalibur 2400 might make a good choice. At way below the 200-dollar mark, this food dehydrator will make a great choice for homeowners on a budget as well.
Worth noting, however, is that this is a 4-tray dehydrator. Thus, I would only recommend it to a family of utmost 3 people. Anything above that and you’ll be spending a lot of time dehydrating food that might not last your family a day.
The good news with the Excalibur 2400 is that it does not compromise on the ease of use despite its low affordability.
An interesting feature with the latest releases is that they now incorporate an on/off switch. This is a convenient feature that eliminates the need for plugging the machine out after every dehydration cycle.
The Excalibur 2400 uses a 4-inch 200 watts fan that is just enough for the 4 trays. It is also fitted with a 95℉- 155℉ thermostat that offers you the versatility that you need to dehydrate different types of foods.
Similar to its bigger siblings, the Excalibur 2400 uses non-stick poly-screen trays that make the cleaning process lots easier for you.
It’s affordable, but is it safe?
Sure. The fact that this dehydrator comes with an adjustable thermostat that allows you to dry the food at the most accurate temperatures is a guarantee of safety.
Secondly, this device has been crafted from BPA-free plastics, not mainly because of their durability and strength aspects but because of your health and that of your family.
- 4 tray and 4 square feet space for small food items dehydration
- Poly–screen tray inserts are easy to clean and also prevent your food items from sticking on them
- 4-inch fan that ensures air circulation
- 220 Watts
- Built-in ON/OFF switch
- 5-year limited warranty
- Adjustable thermostat
- 95℉ to 155℉ temperature range
- Dimensions 6-1/2″H x 13″W x 16-1/4″D
- Its compact size fits easily in small kitchens
- Non-stick poly-screen inserts are easy to clean
- Less noise courtesy of smaller fan
- Comes with an adjustable thermostat to give you control over temperature
- Comes with a built-in on/switch
- Too small for average sized families
- Lacks a timer
Why Go For Excalibur?
Excalibur is always ahead because it doesn’t tire to ‘update’ its products regularly to suit emerging demands of its customers. Again, its accessories are just as exciting as the dehydrators.
Some of these accessories that you can always use to enhance the performance of your dehydrator include silicone sheets, clear doors, trays (buy on Amazon.com) , storage supplies, books and charts, replacement parts, mandolins, slicers and peelers, and scales.
Excalibur 2900ECB vs 3900B Which Is The Best Dehydrator?
The choice between the 2900ECB and the 3900B is a personal preference. It depends on your budget and how often you’ll be using the dehydrator.
These dehydrators have equal drying space and use similar drying technologies.
Talking about budget, the Excalibur 2900ECB appears to be a bit pocket friendlier than the Excalibur 3900B.
However, from a quality point of view, the 3900B takes the cake (check price on Amazon.com). As I have just hinted, the latter is engineered with a high-end thermostat knob that could last up to 5 times longer than that of the 2900ECB.
The 3900B also boasts a heavy-duty motor with an expected durability of up to 20 years. Even better, this model uses a much higher quality heating device.
The high-end features of the 3900B definitely make it the best Excalibur food dehydrator in this debate. These high-quality components not only give you an assurance of durability, but they might also save you money in the long run.
Nonetheless, none of these 2 can hold a candle to the Excalibur 3926TB, not by a long shot! The latter has just one feature that works magic; a 26-hour timer. If you don’t want the hassle of regular checks, then this might be exactly what you need. Trust me, a timer makes your life much easier.
What Should You Look For When Buying An Excalibur Dehydrator?
One way of narrowing down your search when buying a food dehydrator is to determine the number of trays that the available models offer.
Most Excalibur dehydrators have anywhere between 4 and 10 trays. Whether you need a 4-tray or 9-tray model largely depends on the size of your family and how much food you want to dehydrate at a go.
Needless to mention, a larger machine offers larger servings that will take your family for some days.
A 4-tray machine, on the other hand, is ideal for a small family of utmost 3 family members.
b. ON and OFF switch
Regardless of how basic this feature seems to you, I bet you don’t want to go without it. It allows you to switch the machine off without having to unplug it from the socket after every cycle.
For the uninitiated, a thermostat is a device that regulates temperatures. Most conventional dehydrators come with simple thermostats with Low and High-temperature settings only.
Thus, you’ll need to estimate how ‘High’ is high enough and vice versa.
On the other hand, we have dehydrators that come with an adjustable thermostat with clearly labeled temperature levels.
This removes all guesswork and ensures that you are dehydrating each type of food at the recommended temperatures.
This is where Excalibur falls. In fact, what we like most about Excalibur dehydrators is that they all have an adjustable thermostat regardless of the price.
This is another feature that makes your life much easier. It simply switches the machine off after the pre-set time. It gives you peace of mind as you carry on other household chores.
Unfortunately, not all Excalibur Dehydrators come with this handy feature. For instance, in our list of the best Excalibur dehydrators 2019 above, only the 3926TB and the 3526TB has this handy feature.
But as you may have realized, this is a feature that you’ll need to pay handsomely for.
There is an alternative though. You could simply add a standalone timer to the connection and be able to save some bucks.
Needless to say, Excalibur is a big name in the manufacture of dehydrators. The above review clearly attests to my assertion that there is always an Excalibur dehydrator for everyone. What really matters is your preference(s) and the size of your family.
It’s our hope that this list will guide you to the best Excalibur dehydrator for your needs.
Have you used any of the above models and would like to share your experience with us? Do you have a question concerning any of these units? Feel free to contact us here.
Eric MitchellEric is the owner, author, content director and founder of dehydratorlab.com. He is the lead architect and the main man in matters concerning dehydrators, their accessories, guides, reviews and all the accompaniments.Whenever he is not figuring out simple solutions (hacks) involving cookery and their eventual storage, you will find him testing out the different types of dehydrators, to bring us the juicy details regarding these devices.He is a foodie enthusiast, pasionate about making jerky has a knack for healthy and tasty food and won't hesitate to share out any ideas that might be of value around this subject.
Best Nesco Food Dehydrator – Top 5 Models Reviewed & Compared
In this article of the best Nesco food dehydrator reviews, we do the heavy lifting to provide you with all the info that you need to narrow down to...
Nesco American Harvest FD-61WHC Snackmaster® Express Food Dehydrator Review
Read our review of NESCO American Harvest FD-61WHC food dehydrator. An overview of all the important features plus where to find it at the best price!