As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. If you make a purchase after clicking on a link I may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you if items are purchased.
As an experienced user of food dehydrators, I recently tested the Elite Gourmet EFD319 Food Dehydrator to see how it compares to other models in terms of functionality, design, and ease of use.
In this detailed review, I will cover its features and benefits, design, quality, materials, and some tips and tricks. I will also provide a list of pros & cons and compare it with similar products to help you decide if this dehydrator is worth your investment.
In this article:
Key Points for EFD319
- Design: 3.5/5 – It’s functional and compact, though not as sleek as the Magic Mill models.
- Features: 3/5 – Basic features are there, including temperature control, but it lacks a timer and auto shut-off.
- Ease of Use: 4.5/5 – Simplicity means it’s very easy to use, but cleaning can be somewhat cumbersome.
- Performance: 3.5/5 – It does the job, but dehydration times can be longer, and heat distribution isn’t as even.
- Value for Money: 4/5 – It’s a more budget-friendly option, so if you’re not a heavy user, it’s a good value.
- Overall: 3.7/5
Elite Gourmet Overview
Overall, the Elite Gourmet EFD319 Food Dehydrator is a functional and affordable option for those new to food dehydration or looking for a budget-friendly option or occasional users.
Its limitations, such as imprecise temperature control and fragile trays, may be outweighed by its versatility and ease of use for some users.
With proper care, maintenance, and a willingness to experiment, this dehydrator can be a worthwhile addition to your kitchen, but for more features, you’ll have to spend a little bit more.
Features and Benefits
The Elite Gourmet EFD319 machine is a versatile appliance that can be used to make fruit leather, jerky, apple chips, and more. It is easy to clean and has a transparent design that allows you to monitor the drying process.
The bottom-mounted fan promotes even drying and air circulation, ensuring consistent results. However, the temperature options on the dial are somewhat limited and imprecise, which can make it difficult to achieve the exact temperature you need.
Design and Quality
This dehydrator is compact and fairly quiet, making it suitable for those with limited counter space or who prefer a more discreet appliance.
The transparent trays allow for easy monitoring of the drying process, but some users have reported that they are thin and prone to cracking. The temperature dial is a bit confusing, and the lack of a digital readout or timer makes it harder to ensure consistent results
The trays are made of plastic, which makes them lightweight but also somewhat fragile. Some users have reported that the trays become brittle after a few uses, so handle them with care when washing and loading.
- Versatile and easy to use
- Easy to clean
- Compact and fairly quiet
- Transparent trays for easy monitoring
- Even heat distribution
- Limited and imprecise temperature control
- Thin, fragile trays
- No digital readout or timer
- The fan can be loud and rattly for some users
Longevity and Durability
While the Elite Gourmet EFD319 Food Dehydrator is an affordable option, it may not be as durable as higher-end models.
The plastic trays are prone to cracking, and the lack of a digital readout or timer can make it more challenging to achieve consistent results. However, with proper care and maintenance, it should still provide satisfactory performance for occasional use or for beginners.
Maintenance and Care, Tips & Tricks
To prolong the life of your Elite Gourmet EFD319 Food Dehydrator, it’s essential to maintain and care for it properly. Here are some tips and tricks plus some recommendations:
- If you’re making fruit leather or marinated jerky, consider using a special mat or parchment paper to prevent dripping.
- Mark the temperature dot with nail polish or another visible marker to make it easier to read.
- Experiment with different recipes and drying times to find what works best for you.
- Rotate the trays during the drying process to ensure even drying and avoid hot spots.
- Cut fruits and vegetables into uniform sizes for consistent drying results.
- Pre-treat fruits with lemon juice or ascorbic acid to prevent browning.
- Allow the dehydrator to cool down between batches to prolong its lifespan.
- Store your dried foods in airtight containers to maintain freshness and flavor.
- Clean the trays and the base after each use to prevent the buildup of food particles and bacteria.
- Avoid using abrasive cleaning tools or harsh chemicals on the trays, as this can cause damage.
- Check the fan and heating element regularly for dust or debris, and clean as needed to ensure proper functioning.
- Store the dehydrator in a cool, dry place when not in use to protect it from moisture and potential damage.
Accessories and Upgrades
To enhance your experience with the Elite Gourmet EFD319 Food Dehydrator, consider investing in some accessories or upgrades:
1. Special mats or parchment paper: these can help prevent dripping and make cleanup easier.
2. Additional trays: if you find yourself needing more drying space, look for compatible trays (unfortunately the producer doesn’t provide any) to expand your dehydrator’s capacity.
3. Digital thermometer: to ensure accurate temperature readings, consider using a separate digital thermometer.
4. Recipe books: expand your repertoire of dehydrated foods with specialized recipe books or online resources.
Comparison With Similar Products
When comparing the Elite Gourmet EFD319 Food Dehydrator with similar products, it’s essential to consider factors such as features, build quality, materials, and price. Here’s a comparison with the Magic Mill Food Dehydrator, COSORI Food Dehydrator, and OSTBA Food Dehydrator Machine:
1. Magic Mill Food Dehydrator with 5 Stackable Stainless Steel Trays
Pros: Stainless steel trays for better durability, digital temperature control for precise settings, and a timer for added convenience.
Cons: More expensive than the Elite Gourmet EFD319, making it less budget-friendly.
Overall: The Magic Mill Food Dehydrator 5-trays offers more advanced features and better build quality, making it a more suitable option for those who prioritize durability and precise temperature control.
2. COSORI Food Dehydrator for Jerky 350W Dryer Machine with 5 BPA-Free Trays
Pros: BPA-free trays for safer food dehydration, digital temperature control for accurate settings, and a timer for added convenience.
Cons: Slightly more expensive than the Elite Gourmet EFD319, but still relatively affordable.
Overall: The COSORI Food Dehydrator is a good alternative for those who want more precise temperature control and BPA-free materials without breaking the bank.
3. OSTBA Food Dehydrator Machine Adjustable Temperature & 72H Timer, 5-Tray Dehydrators for Food and Jerky
Pros: Digital temperature control for accurate settings, timer for added convenience, and a 72-hour maximum drying time for more versatile use.
Cons: Similar in price to the Elite Gourmet EFD319 but offers more advanced features, which may make it a better value for some users.
Overall: The OSTBA Food Dehydrator Machine provides a good balance of features, quality, and affordability, making it a suitable alternative for those looking for a more advanced option without a significant price increase.
Compared to more expensive dehydrators, the Elite Gourmet EFD319 offers a more affordable option for beginners or those on a budget, or those looking for an occasional-use dehydrator.
However, if you’re willing to spend a bit more, higher-priced models such as Magic Mill, COSORI, or OSTBA food dehydrators offer more advanced features, such as precise temperature controls, digital readouts, and timers, which can lead to more consistent results and a more user-friendly experience.
Here are some frequently asked questions about the Elite Gourmet EFD319 food dehydrator:
What temperature range does the Elite Gourmet EFD319 Food Dehydrator offer?
The temperature range of the EFD319 is 94-158°F (34-70°C), with options on the dial for 94-104°F, 113-131°F, and 140-158°F. However, the temperature control is not very precise, making it challenging to set an exact temperature.
How many trays does this dehydrator come with?
The Elite Gourmet EFD319 Food Dehydrator comes with five stackable trays.
Is the EFD319 suitable for making jerky?
Yes, the EFD319 is capable of making jerky, though it may take longer than other dehydrators with more precise temperature controls.
Are the trays dishwasher-safe?
Although some users have had success washing the trays in a dishwasher, hand washing is recommended to avoid potential damage.
Can I purchase additional trays for the Elite Gourmet EFD319?
Unfortunately, additional trays are not available for purchase separately.
Is there a timer on the EFD319?
No, the EFD319 does not have a built-in timer. Users need to monitor the drying time and unplug the dehydrator manually when the process is complete.
How loud is the Elite Gourmet EFD319 Dehydrator during operation?
The EFD319 has a noise level similar to that of a fan. While it may be noticeable in a quiet room, most users find it tolerable.
Do I need to use special mats or parchment paper for certain foods?
For foods that may drip or stick, such as fruit leather or marinated jerky, it is recommended to use special mats or parchment paper cut to fit the trays.
How do I clean the Elite Gourmet EFD319 food dehydrator?
To clean the EFD319, unplug it and allow it to cool down. Remove the trays and wash them gently with warm soapy water. Wipe the base unit with a damp cloth and dry all parts thoroughly before reassembling and storing.
Is the Elite Gourmet EFD319 Food Dehydrator BPA-free?
The trays of the EFD319 are made of BPA-free plastic, making them safe for use in food dehydration.
The Elite Gourmet EFD319 food dehydrator is a decent entry-level option for those looking to try their hand at dehydrating without breaking the bank. While it has its limitations, such as imprecise temperature control and fragile trays, it does offer a versatile and easy-to-use appliance that can handle a wide range of foods.
If you don’t mind some trial and error and are willing to be gentle with the trays, this dehydrator may be a worthwhile investment. However, if you’re looking for a more precise and user-friendly experience, you may want to consider investing in a higher-end model.
Eric MitchellEric is the owner, author, content director and founder of dehydratorlab.com. He is the lead architect and the main man in matters concerning dehydrators, their accessories, guides, reviews and all the accompaniments.Whenever he is not figuring out simple solutions (hacks) involving cookery and their eventual storage, you will find him testing out the different types of dehydrators, to bring us the juicy details regarding these devices.He is a foodie enthusiast, pasionate about making jerky has a knack for healthy and tasty food and won't hesitate to share out any ideas that might be of value around this subject.
Waring Pro Dehydrator Review [Waring Pro DHR30]
Read our review of Waring Pro Dehydrator. An overview of all the important features plus where to find it at the best price for Waring Pro DHR30 food dehydrator
Nesco FD-1018A Gardenmaster Review
Bigger and smarter than its rivals, the NESCO FD-1018A is a top of the line dehydrator that gets you drying more stuff and faster...