The electric and manual meat grinders are easy to use, come in a variety of sizes and prices to meet each budget, and are an healthier option than purchasing prepackaged products. They are even great to use with vegetables too.
Do you remember going to the butcher with your parents or grandparents? Did you watch the butcher make fresh ground beef and how great the burgers tasted? Everyone can do the same thing when everyone has their very own best meat grinder in the kitchen.
Our 10 Top Picks for the Best Meat Grinder
|Gourmia GMG7000 Prime Plus Commercial Grade||Best Electric Meat Grinder||$$$$||Gourmia||Electric||8.2||10 x 14 x 10 inches||10 pounds||1 year|
|Best Choice 2.6 HP Industrial Electric||Best High Power Meat Grinder||$$$||Best Choice Products||Electric||7.4||15.5 x 6.2 x 13.8 inches||5.5 pounds||1 year|
|Sunmile SM-G73 Heavy Duty Electric Meat Grinder||Best Budget Meat Grinder||$$||Sunmile||Electric||8.2||20 x 11 x 8.9 inches||12.45 pounds||1 year|
|Sunmile SM-G33 Electric||Best Stainless Steel Meat Grinder||$$||Sunmile||Electric||8.0||13.6 x 6.2 x 13.6 inches||8.82 pounds||1 year|
|Elite Platinum HA-3433A Maxi-Matic 550 Watt Aluminum-Die-Cast||Best Long Lasting||$$||Elite Platinum||Electric||7.0||8 x 17 x 10.2 inches||10.2 pounds||1 year|
|CucinaPro With Tabletop Clamp Manual Meat Grinder||Best Manual Meat Grinder||$||CucinaPro||Manual||5.6||10.2 x 3.8 x 10 inches||1 pound||1 year|
|Weston #10 Manual Tinned Meat Grinder And Sausage Stuffer||Best Sausage Meat Grinder||$||Weston||Manual||5.6||10.2 x 8 x 11 inches||1 pound||1 year|
|Gideon Hand Crank Manual Meat Grinder Heavy Duty||Best Entry Level Meat Grinder||$||Gideon||Manual||7.6||10.9 x 6.7 x 6.1 inches||2.56 pounds||1 year|
|Bellemain Manual Meat Grinder||Best for Beginners||$||Bellemain||Manual||8.0||9.9 x 6.3 x 5.4 inches||2.35 pounds||1 year|
|LEM 8 Lb .35 HP Stainless-Steel Electric Meat Grinder||$$$||LEM||Electric||8.8||2.2 x 11.5 x 8.5 inches||37 pounds||1 year|
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. If you make a purchase after clicking on a link I may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you if items are purchased.
1. Best Electric Meat Grinder – Gourmia GMG7000 Prime Plus Commercial Grade Meat Grinder – Our Top Pick
The Gourmia GMG7000 Prime Plus Commercial Grade Meat Grinder is one of the best electric meat grinders that is being sold on the market today. This particular brand has a powerful copper motor that is 800 watts, which allows users the ability to grind through all types of meat and thickness of meats.
This commercial electric model has stainless steel blades along with three cutting plates and stuffing chute funnels. This grade product is safe to operate. It is ETL approved.
The appliance has a safety switch that is three ways. To use this appliance, you just push the button up, then if you want to reverse the meat grinder you just push the button down, and if you would like to stop the meat grinder for any reason you don’t need to push any button. That is how easy the prime plus commercial grade model is to operate.
- Powerful and durable
- A locking gear
- Stainless steel blades
- Food tray included
- Easy to operate
- 800 watts motor
- Recipe book
- Not dishwasher safe
- The Prime Plus Commercial grinder is a fantastic product. It is powerful, durable, and made with only the highest quality of materials.
- The meat grinder comes with a one-year warranty and is built to last a lifetime.
- It weighs only ten pounds and has 800 watts of extreme power.
The Gourmia GMG7000 meat grinder is an excellent product. It provides families the ability to grind and create fresh meats at an affordable price. It’s hard not to believe that this product doesn’t perform at its best with so many happy customer reviews that were left for this product.
You can check our full review of Gourmia GMG700.
2. Best High Power Meat Grinder – Best Choice 2.6 HP Industrial Electric Meat Grinder – Our Runner Up
The Best Choice Products Meat Grinder Electric is a high powered appliance that grinds through large amounts of meats and foods in a short amount of time.
It comes with a 2.6 horse powered motor with up to 2000 watts maximum power. Although this particular model is ideal for home use it has enough power to be used in any commercial and industrial setting. The Best Choice Products appliance has an affordable price and with the power and performance that this product has, the price is great!
- Three choices of speeds
- Three cutting blades made with steel
- Feeding hopper is cast aluminum
- 2.6 horse powered motor
- One year warranty
- Food pusher
- A reverse option to stop clogging
- No sausage attachments
- No circuit breaker
- Operation is noisy
- It has a steel grinding head and the cutting plate is 2 ¾ inches, which allows users to choose from a variety of grinds to meet their personal preference.
- The feeding chute tube is wider than most feeding chute tubes as it is two inches wide and on the top of the feeding chute tube, there is a small taper, which prevents any unwanted injuries.
- This appliance is a high-quality product that works great in any kitchen and industrial settings.
I recommend the Best Choice Products brand and model as its price is affordable for the features that come with this item. The construction of the appliance is made with a heavy duty construction and stainless steel.
A one year warranty comes with this particular brand and model, but the Best Choice Products Meat Grinder Electric (see full review) is built to last for many, many years.
3. Best Budget Meat Grinder – Sunmile SM-G73 Heavy Duty Electric Meat Grinder And Sausage Stuffer Maker
Selecting the right electric meat grinder can be a tough job, but it doesn’t have to be if you have the facts and information about these wonderful products.
If you are searching for an affordable electric model that is packed with power, then the Sunmile SM-G73 ETL Electric Stainless-Steel Meat Grinder and Mincer may be the product you need and want.
It literally grinds through all types of meat, fresh and frozen. . All of the accessories that you will need is included with this product.
- Motor is powerful
- One button operating system
- Stainless steel blades and cutting plates
- One-year warranty
- Gears are plastic
- Feeding chute can jam
- Not dishwasher safe
- The Sunmile SM-G73 ETL model comes with 400 watts of power and up to 800 watts maximum power. Can you imagine grinding up to 200 pounds of meat in under an hour? You can do that with this model.
- This amazing product is easy to operate with the one button operational system.
- The Sunmile SM-G73 ETL Electric Stainless Steel Meat Grinder and Mincer is a quality product that really performs.
The price of this amazing and powerful appliance is very affordable, which makes this an excellent product that everyone can afford. I highly recommend this product due to its performance, durability, and power.
Read more about this product in our full Sunmile SM-G73 review.
4. Best Stainless Steel Meat Grinder – Sunmile SM-G33 Electric
Grinding meat can be done with ease if you have an electric meat grinder. The electric meat grinder should be powerful enough to grind through thick and large types of meat within just a few minutes, and the electric meat grinder that can do that is the Sunmile SM-G33 ETL Electric Stainless Steel Meat Grinder and Mincer.
The Sunmile SM-G33 ETL Electric meat grinder and mincer has a powerful motor that is 400 watts and the maximum power is 800 watts. It is easy to operate as there is just one button that is used for an operation.
- Sausage attachments
- 400-watt motor to 800 watts maximum power
- Operates quietly
- One-year warranty
- Can become clogged with a large amount of meat
- Not dishwasher safe
- The Sunmile electric meat grinder and mincer come with a powerful motor that is 400 watts and a maximum power of 800 watts.
- The reverse button is an excellent feature with the electric meat grinder. It should be pushed if the electric meat grinder starts to clog up or jams.
- There is also a circuit breaker with the electric meat grinder and the circuit breaker will prevent the grinder from burning up or locking up.
Sunmile SM-G33 ETL Electric stainless steel meat grinder and mincer is one of the top meat grinders on the market today. This electric meat grinder is very affordable.
Read the full Sunmile SM-G33 review.
5. Best Long Lasting – Elite Platinum HA-3433A Maxi-Matic 550 Watt Aluminum-Die-Cast Meat Grinder
Anyone that is searching for a long-lasting meat grinder that is affordable should consider the Elite Platinum HA-3433 Maxi-Matic 550-Watt Aluminum Die Cast Meat Grinder. This amazing appliance might not come with all the thrills that other ones do, but buyers will not be disappointed with the high performance and quality design that this product possesses.
The Elite Platinum Ha-3433 appliance has a 550 watt and .07 horse powered motor that pulverizes through all types of meat and small bones.
This model has an easy to use the operating system as there is only one button device on the appliance that turns the item on, turns it off, and a reverse option that will stop the appliance from clogging.
- Attractive design
- Powerful motor
- Rubber feet for added stability
- Grinds quickly
- Loud and a little bit noisy
- Shakes when grinding
- Only one cutting plate
- The Elite Platinum HA-3433 grinder is ideal for a first-time owner or moving up from a manual model.
- The appliance is easy to use and operate and cleanup is a breeze, but you can’t put the pieces into the dishwasher as this could cause the pieces to discolor.
- The Elite Platinum is very affordable and can be purchased at a very good price.
Although the Elite Platinum HA-3433 Maxi-Matic meat grinder may have a few flaws, overall it comes with the power that is needed and wanted to grind through all varieties of meat including frozen meats.
If you want a quality product that you can use to make your own specialty meats and you don’t mind it being a bit noisy then you will be pleased with the Elite Platinum HA-3433 Maxi-Matic 550 Aluminum Die Cast Meat Grinder.
Read more about this specific product on our full Elite Platinum HA-3433 review.
6. Best Manual Meat Grinder – CucinaPro With Tabletop Clamp Manual Meat Grinder
Are you looking for one of the best manual meat grinder that is being sold today? Do you like to make your own healthy meats? If so, then look no further as the CucinaPro Meat Grinder with Tabletop Clamp and Three Cutting Disks is the perfect choice.
This is a manual grinder that is very affordable and is made of cast iron that is very heavy duty. There are three different sizes of cutting disks that come with the product.
The product is easy to use as you just clamp it to the tabletop or countertop, select the cutting disk, then turn the handle, and watch the meat that are being created happen! This appliance has the ability to grind through two pounds of meat within a couple of minutes. That is quite impressive!
- Easy to use
- Three cutting disks
- Can rust if not properly cleaned right
- Not dishwasher safe
- The CucinaPro appliance comes with a one year warranty and is very lightweight.
- The manual appliance only weighs one pound, which makes it ideal to take anywhere you wish.
- There are many qualities and features that this particular brand provides, so it is easy to see why it is a number one choice for many consumers.
Once everyone has tasted fresh hamburgers or sausage that has been created with the CucinaPro grinder you will never want to purchase frozen or store bought meat again. The taste is delicious.
The price is affordable for this product. I would recommend the CucinaPro appliance outperforms and is easy to use, so much so that it can be used daily.
Come take a look at our extended review of the best manual meat grinder.
7. Best Sausage Meat Grinder – Weston #10 Manual Tinned Meat Grinder And Sausage Stuffer (Sausage Kit Included)
One way to get you and your family healthier is by making your own meats. The Weston #10 Manual Tinned Meat Grinder and Sausage Stuffer is ideal for making sausages, hot dogs, and freshly ground hamburgers. If you want to dehydrate your food instead, take a look at Weston’s food dehydrators
Grinding your own meats will eliminate harsh additives and chemicals that are found in store-bought packages. The Weston #10 Tinned appliance and Sausage Stuffer is affordable and easy to use.
The Weston manual model comes with everything you need to make your own foods, dishes, and even pet food. This product just clamps onto the countertop, but don’t worry about any damages occurring to your countertop, because there is rubber padding included protecting the countertops.
It comes with two different cutting blades along with three funnel sizes. The sausage kit is also included. The only thing you will have to purchase is your meat.
- Heavy duty design
- Easy to operate
- Easy to maintain
- One-year warranty
- Two steel cutting plates
- An instruction video
- Will rust if not properly maintained
- Bones doesn’t grind good
- An excellent first-time meat grinder
- It is very goo for a fantastic gift for the hunter in your family or someone who enjoys cooking and creating wonderful dishes.
I recommend the Weston #10 Manual Tinned Meat Grinder and Sausage Stuffer as it comes complete with all the accessories that you need to start making creative and delicious meats.
See our more detailed review of the Weston #10 grinder.
8. Best Entry Level Meat Grinder – Gideon Hand Crank Manual Meat Grinder Heavy Duty
The Gideon Hand Crank Manual Meat Grinder with Powerful Suction Base is one of the top selling product being sold on the market today. This item can easily grind through all types of meat, gristle, and is perfect for pureeing vegetables.
One of the best features of this product is the ability to use it anywhere and without any electricity needed. The suction base is powerful and will attach to any countertop, tabletop, and smooth surface. The Gideon Hand Crank manual grinder comes with many features, benefits, and pros.
- Easy to clean and maintain
- Two mincing plates
- Grinds all meats
- Stainless steel blades
- Cranking can be difficult with thick cuts of meat
- Mincing plates can be difficult to remove after each use
- The blades are enclosed, so unexpected injuries are prevented.
- Clean-up is a breeze with this product as it comes apart with ease and is totally dishwasher safe!
- The price is affordable, which makes this fantastic product great for gifts.
This grinder is the best way to have fresh and creative foods. Mincing and pureeing vegetables can be done in just minutes, which makes it ideal for any working moms.
Families can take this amazing product to cookouts and family reunions and impress their friends and family members with freshly ground foods. Read more about this amazing product in our extended Gideon Hand Crank Manual Meat Grinder review.
9. Bellemain Manual Meat Grinder
Anyone that is willing to purchase a manual meat grinder that is durable, strong and affordable should purchase the Bellemain Manual Meat Grinder.
This model is one of the best appliances that is being sold today. This product only weighs 2.2 pounds, which allows owners to pick it up and take it anywhere with ease.
This grinder can easily grind all types of meats and the meats can be frozen too. The cutting blade and cutting disc are made of stainless steel and the cutting disc doesn’t dull quickly.
One of the added features of this meat grinder is the meat pusher, which also prevents injuries with fingers. The suction base can anchor to any countertops, tabletops, and surface tops and the suction base prevents any “walk” away when you are using it.
- Easy to use and operate
- Affordable price
- Dishwasher safe
- No ‘walk away’
- Grinding is easy due to the short handle
- Grinds through all meats, tiny bones, and gristle
- Feeding chute can jam easily
- The suction base can attach to all surfaces
- The stainless steel cutting blades are sharp, which allows for an effective grinding process.
The Bellemain appliance is a great way to create fresh sausages, meatballs, and fresh ground beef, chicken, and pork.
I would recommend purchasing the Bellemain Manual Meat Grinder for numerous reasons, which include the price is affordable, is made with quality materials, and this brand and model can easily grind through each and every meat type and foods out there.
See our full review Bellemain Manual Meat Grinder.
10. LEM 8 Lb .35 HP Stainless-Steel Electric Meat Grinder
The LEM 8 Lb. 35 HP Stainless Steel Electric Meat Grinder is being named one of the best appliances in the grinding industry. This amazing appliance provides the performance and durability that buyers are looking for.
This particular model comes with an 8 lb. .35 horse power that is unbeatable. With this much power, it is easy to see how this product can grind up to 200 pounds of meat in just one hour. The motor housing is made of stainless steel and it also comes with metal gears that don’t need to be lubricated ever!
- Dishwasher safe
- No lubrication needed for the motor
- Quite operation
- Grinds through all meats and soft bones
- Feeding tube is narrow
- Scratches easily
- There is a circuit breaker on the LEM 8 Lb. 35 HP model, which will turn off the appliances is clogging and jamming along with if the grinder is overheating.
- A two-year warranty that comes with the electric meat grinder, which is a year longer than other electric meat grinders.
- The attractive stainless steel design is an added benefit with this brand and model as it will match all kitchens décor.
The LEM 8 Lb. 35 HP Stainless Steel Electric Meat Grinder speaks for itself. It has the power to perform. I would purchase this model if I was looking for an appliance for my kitchen.
Read more about this amazing meat grinder in our full LEM 8 Lb .35 HP Stainless-Steel Electric Meat Grinder review.
Buying Guide – Thinks You Need To Know Before Buying
If you enjoy creating and preparing your own foods, then you might consider purchasing a meat grinder. These handy appliances will allow you to create your own specialty sausages, hot dogs, sandwich spreads, and much more.
Having this appliance will be an excellent addition to your kitchen and a must for the hunter in the family as it will allow the hunter to process their own game, which will save them several hundreds of dollars in meat processing.
If you decided to purchase one of these products, then you will be able to control salts and fats that are in your foods. This product will also free you from buying processed foods that have chemicals and processed additives, which is very unhealthy for you and your family.
Types Of Meat Grinders
There are four kinds of grinders on the market today. The electric grinders, the manual grinders, standalone type and commercial ones. They each have features and benefits, and you will just need to figure out which one will work best for you and your family.
1. Electric Meat Grinders
An electric grinder model can grind through all types of foods quickly. The electric machine will come with two to three different cutting plate sizes along with a sausage tube.
An electric model is ideal for grinding larger amounts of meats. Most of the electric appliances come equipped with a reverse option, which will stop the motor if the items start to jam, which is an excellent way to keep your electric model from burning up.
These electric appliances come with different sizes of cutting plates along with extrusion tubes to make your own personal sausages. Each of the appliances can range in prices, but there is one that will fit your budget.
2. Manual Meat Grinders
A manual meat grinder is fantastic for those who only want to grind meat occasionally. The manual device just clamps to the countertop or tabletop, then the user will use the hand crank to grind all types of items.
It can grind two pounds of meat in approximately one minute. There are several different brands and types of manual appliances to meet everyone’s budget.
3. Standalone Meat Grinders
A standard model is commonly known as an electric appliance but is usually used in a commercial industry. They are able to process and grind large amounts of meat. The standalone models come with more grinding options and have the ability to process all types of meats. They are also more expensive than just an ordinary grinder.
4. Commercial Meat Grinders
A commercial meat grinder comes with power and performance. A commercial appliance can grind up to 300 pounds of meat in just an hour. Although a commercial appliance is generally used in a business, if you want to process and grind large amounts of beef, pork, and venison, then a commercial device is an excellent option.
This device will come with plenty of attachments, horsepower, and an excellent warranty. A commercial model grinder can range in price as some of them start out at $300 to thousands of dollars.
Factors To Consider Before Purchasing A Meat Grinder
There are many factors and features to consider with these products. One of the best features that come with grinding your own meat is eliminating all unwanted chemicals and additives that come with processed ones from any grocery store. You will also be able to grind and create different foods to your own personal taste.
Before you run out and purchase the first grinder that you see at your local store you should first consider how much meat you are planning to grind and how often you plan on grinding them.
If you are planning to only use this kind of appliance a few times a year, then you may want to consider purchasing a manual device over an electric meat appliance, but you can still purchase a smaller electric model that won’t take up too much space in your kitchen if you don’t want to have to manually grind your foods.
If you want to grind all your meat, then an electric one would be ideal. You should also consider the price that you want to pay before you purchase an appliance. There are many different types and kinds to meet all budgets.
How Much Meat Can The Meat Grinder Grind?
An electric model appliance can grind up to two hundred pounds a meat in just an hour. The amount of meat that can be ground will depend on the motor watts that the grinder has.
A 1200-watt motor can easily grind up to two hundred pounds within just one hour.
What Can The Meat Grinder Grind?
A high-quality electric appliance can grind all types of meats, small bones, and fat without any problems. You may be wondering why anyone would want to grind small bones, and with some types of meat, there are tiny, small bones that can be ground up, which is great for making pet foods.
A manual meat machine can grind all types of meats too, but they have to be cut in small pieces and it will take some time to grind a lot of at one time.
Meat Grinder Size & Weight
There are many different types of models, brands, and sizes and you will have to determine how much foods you want to grind, ease of grinding meats, and how much money you want to spend on the product.
All of the grinders have a number and the number will represent the meat grinder size. The size is always determined on the grinder plates with the meat device that you select. The common sizes are #5, #8, #12, #22, and #32.
These product sizes are determined by the grinder plates, which include:
- #5 – 2 1/8 inches
- #8 – 2 ½ inches
- #12 – 2 ¾ inches
- #22 – 3 ¼ inches
- #32 – 3 7/8 inches
A larger electric appliance can handle large volumes and types of meat and grinding can be done quickly. A larger manual appliance will come with a larger crank handle to provide stability and performance.
Each grinder will vary in weight. Of course, a larger device will weigh more than a smaller meat device. The average weight of a meat machine is approximately fifteen pounds and they can range up to seventy-five pounds.
Ease Of Use
These products and grinders are very easy to use, especially the electric models that are available on the market. The first thing you will need to do when using the device is choosing the meat. All of the appliances can handle grinding all sorts of meat.
Fatty ones grind very easily. Once you have selected your meat that is going to be ground, then you will want to cut it into slices of one to two inches, then place the cut pieces on a baking sheet, then cover the pieces and place them in the freezer for approximately thirty minutes.
You don’t want the meat to freeze, but each piece should be firm and cold. Doing this will eliminate the meat from jamming up in the head of the grinder. Once the meat is ready, then you feed them at the top of the grinder, then grind them. That is how easy it is to use these products.
Accessories And Grinder Parts
It is beneficial to know the accessories and grinder parts of a grinder, which include:
- Meat Tray – The meat tray is also known as the hopper. The hopper is where you will place the food where it can be pushed into the feeding tube, so they can be ground.
- Meat Pusher – The meat pusher is used to push the food down the feeding tube.
- Grinder Plates – The grinder plates come in a variety of sizes, which will determine the size that is needed and wanted to be ground.
- Feeding Tube – The feeding tube is where the meat is being pushed to begin the grinding process. Cutting Blade – The cutting blade is a sharp cutting knife that is used to cut the meat into smaller pieces, so they can be placed into the feeding tube.
- Sausage Stuffer – A sausage stuffer is a long funnel that takes the meat and guides it into the casting types, which can vary.
Maintenance And Cleaning
Cleaning the appliance is very important. The device should be cleaned each time it is used. Before you start cleaning the appliance you will want to check to see if the parts are dishwasher safe.
If the parts and pieces are not dishwasher safe, then it should not put these pieces into the dishwasher as they can rust or discolor. The meat grinder parts should be taken apart and washed thoroughly, then dried completely. The pieces should be sprayed with food safe oil as this will keep the pieces from rusting and also lubricated for the next use.
Why Should You Grind Your Own Meat?
There are many benefits that come with grinding your own meat. One of the best benefits to grinding your own beef, pork, and venison is the fresh flavor and taste that occurs.
You will see a major difference in your creations to the ones that is purchase at your local grocer. There will be no chemicals or additives added when grinding and creating your own meat and not only will the taste be better, but everyone will notice the texture is much better too. Here are a few benefits to grinding your own meat:
- Flavor – You will control what goes into the meat that you are grinding and this would include the fat. Everyone can make fewer fatty meats that are healthier along with tasting great!
- Safer – Anytime we purchase meat from your local grocery store, then we never know what is actually in the meat. For example, ground beef may not have the best parts of the beef added and contamination chances are increased.
- Fun – After the first time you are making own sausage or hot dogs you will see how much fun it can be when you grind your own meats. Before you know it the entire family will want to join in on the creating and grinding fun.
- One of the best tips that will assist you with grinding meat is to keep the meat and the parts of the grinder such as the grinding plates and feeding tube. If you place the grinding plates in the freezer for an hour before starting, then this will make the process go quickly and effectively. The meat should be cut into smaller pieces and also placed in the freezer for about an hour beforehand too. This will make the meat easier to ground up.
- When you are processing the meat, everyone should watch the meat for any smearing. The small holes in the cutting plates should come out clear, but if the meat starts flowing out in one large mass, then use the reverse on the appliance as the meat is starting to jam up. After pressing reverse the appliance, then the blades should be thoroughly cleaned, then start the process over again.
- The cutting blades should always be sharp. The cutting blades are one of the most important parts of the appliance. Fortunately, the cutting blade and cutting plate actually perform better with each use. At least once a year the cutting blades should be sharpened if you have noticed that they have become dull, and if you don’t want to re-sharpen the blades, then repurchasing can always be a good option.
- When you are wanting to season the foods, then for burgers you should season the meat after it has been ground up and for sausages, always add the seasonings before the grinding process. Many times, when the seasonings are added beforehand to the meat the seasonings will dissolve some of the meat’s proteins, which will also create a sausage-like texture. That is why when you are creating sausages it is okay to do the seasonings beforehand.
- This last tip is very important. The appliance should be taken completely apart after each use. Make sure that you clean every part of the appliance and you can also take a few paper towels and wad them up, then push them through the grinder. This will ensure that all the particles has been effectively removed.
Interesting Facts About Meat Grinders
The first meat device was invented and developed in the early 19th century. Karl Friedrich Christian Ludwig Freiherr Drais von Sauerbronn or Karl Drais for short was a German revolutionist and inventor who invented many items such as the Laufmaschine (running machine), the typewriter with a keyboard, and the meat grinder.
The first meat device that was invented by Karl Drais was a hand cranked model that forced the meat through the metal plate with holes to create in long strands of ground product. This device was the size of the washing machine.
It was very large compared to what it is today. Today, the device is one of the most used appliances in the kitchen. Processed meat purchased at the grocery store is not a healthy option, which is why grinding your own only provides a healthier choice along with a tastier choice.
Many people think that the grinding process takes a lot of time, but with the electric models it doesn’t take that much time and the foods that you create are cheaper than store bought and their taste is incredibly much better. There are many different styles and brands of these appliances on the market today and there is one that will meet your needs and your budget.
Frequently Asked Questions
Owning a meat grinder is beneficial and becoming one of the most used appliances in the kitchen. They are easy to use and maintain. There are always questions that come up and owners are looking for answers. For this reason, we have answered the top frequently asked questions below.
1. Which meat grinder is better the manual or electric models?
Depending on your needs and preferences both of these types of appliances have their own features. Any individual that is new to grinding meat and wants to see if one can really enjoy doing it, then they can purchase a less expensive manual or electric model. One of the best features of the electric models is they do all the hard work for you as the manual models will require arm strength to turn the handle to grind the meat.
2. Are the parts dishwasher safe?
Nearly all of the manual models claim that the parts are dishwasher safe, but many of the owners that have placed the parts into the dishwasher have complained that the parts discolor and often corrode after they have been put into the dishwasher. The electric model parts are not recommended for the dishwasher. Cleaning them in hot, soapy water will get the parts cleaned and disinfected.
3. Are there replacement parts available for the meat grinders?
Every model has the option of purchasing replacement parts. If anyone needs any replacement parts for your appliance, then simply contact the company brand of the appliance and they will instruct you on how one can purchase the replacement parts that you need.
4. Why is the grinder getting clogged?
Many times when the grinder starts to become clogged it is because of several reasons. One reason the meat is clogging is the meat isn’t cut into smaller cubes and it isn’t fitting properly into the feeding tube and another reason is the grinder plate and blade can become clogged or jammed if the meat isn’t very cold prior to grinding.
You can prevent the clogging by placing the parts in the freezer up to an hour before you are using the grinder along with making sure the meat is very cold.
5. How do I keep the blades sharp?
The grinder blade can become dull depending on their care. This is why it is important that everyone that handle the blades with care. Never, ever should anyone want the blades to rub against other parts or each other.
If at any time someone thinks the blades are not sharp enough, then simply take them to a professional to have them sharpened or you purchasing new blades is always another option.
6. What is the reverse function for?
The reverse function on the electric appliances is a great advantage. If one is having trouble with the meat clogging up or jamming, then simply just put the appliance in reverse and this will stop the jamming and save the appliance from overheating too.
7. Is it safer to grind meat over buying it from the store?
Yes, it is safer to grind your own meat instead of purchasing meat from the grocery store. Purchasing prepackaged beef is not the highest cuts of meat.
The pre-packaged beef can come from hundreds or even thousands of different animals. It is almost like one is purchasing the scraps of meat when you purchased pre packaged ground beef. The contamination chances are also increased with prepackaged beef.
8. Do meat grinders come with a warranty?
Generally, there is always a one year warranty that comes with the grinder appliances. The one year warranty will cover all parts and the motor on the electric appliance. Some of the electric appliances come with a two-year warranty, which is a very good warranty.
9. Which is better the stainless steel or carbon steel plates and blades?
The stainless steel plates and blades are the best. The stainless steel plates and blades last longer than the carbon steel plates and blades. Keep in mind to never place the stainless steel plates and blades into the dishwasher. The dishwasher can cause them to rust and discolor.
10. If I replace the cutting blade should I also replace the cutting plate?
You don’t have to change the cutting plate when you change the cutting blade, but it is recommended. If the cutting plate has an unused side, then you don’t need to replace it, but again it is always recommended that when you replace one you should replace the other.
11. Is the meat grinder easy to clean?
Yes, the appliance is easy to clean. Once the parts are placed into a sink of hot, soapy water and you let them sit for a few minutes in the water, then yes they are easy to clean.
12. Can vegetables, fruit, and cheese be used in the grinder?
Yes, vegetables, fruits, and cheese can be used in the appliance. You can make different textures with these items by putting them through the appliance. If you are wanting to use cheese in the appliance, then you should make sure the cheese isn’t soft, because the cheese will stick to the grinding plate and blade, which will clog the appliance.
You can place the cheese in the freezer for an hour and this will allow you to use the cheese in the appliance. Celery and green beans are two vegetables that you should use in the appliance. These two vegetables will clog the appliance.
These are the top frequently asked questions and answers concerning manual and electric meat grinders. If you are having a problem with your appliance, then you can refer back to this page to get the answer for your question.
Don’t let any problem that you are having with your appliance keep you from using it. Most of the problems come with a simple solution.
Having a meat grinder can change you and your family’s life. You can create healthier meats and dishes and vegetables can be used for purees and soups. By using this appliance and the great news is that they are not expensive.
As everyone can see there are many different options that are available when you want to purchase a meat grinder. There are electric, manual, standalone, and commercial appliances. Each one of these products and devices varies in price, which means there will be one to meet your budget along with your preferences.
One thing everyone should always remember when you are purchasing any appliance is to make sure that the device is durable. Everyone should always check to see if the accessories and the parts are made of plastic or if they are made of stainless steel. Stainless steel cutting blades are the best and if the make and model of these appliances have the stainless-steel cutting blades, then it is probably a durable and trustworthy appliance.
It should come with an outstanding grinding performance. Make sure that if you are buying an electric model, that specific model has the power to grind through all types of beef, pork, and venison along with large amounts of them too. Don’t get overwhelmed with all the features that the meat grinder claims to have. Check out the power, performance, and make sure that the cutting blades are made of stainless steel.
One of these handy appliances is an excellent addition to any home or business. Having the ability to make your own meats will be healthier and affordable for you and your family.